Review this Product
for a chance to win a $100 gift card.
Installation a challenge - Jayblank WI
Recommended by Reviewer: Yes
Pros: Attractive, well made, functional
Cons: Difficult to install, instructions lacking
I bought these bags for a 2007 Yamaha FZ1. The ordering instructions were a bit vague and even after talking with one of the sales reps, I ended up having to order an additional kit so the bags would fit on my bike. Other than that, the service was great and the sales people were helpful. The brackets and bags are of the highest quality. They fit well, look great, and are well built. Mounting them on the bike was a real challenge and took me about 8 hours over two days to get it done. The instructions with the bags are of no help and I needed to go online and look for other's advise to get it done. On the FZ1 you neeed to remove the entire tail section of the bike to get at the subframe to mount two small mounting brackets. Removing the tail isn't necessarily hard, but for the first time, it takes some time and effort. You also have to remove the license plate bracket, disconnect the turn signals and rear light, and remove the lower fender. Once this is done, it is not clear how the mounting brackets fit on the frame. They appear to be interchangeable and the pictures are not clear. I had to put things partially back together to make sure they were on properly. Along with the kit, they send a tempalte that is to be used to cut out some slots on the rear fender so the brackets can fit through. This template is not accurate at all and was useless. It turns out that Yamaha indicates the correct cut-out area on the bottom of the fender. I used a Dremel and cutting wheel to cut out the marked section and it fit perfectly. After the two mounting brackets are attached, you need to put it all back togther before you actually mount the bracket. This was not bad except for fitting the actual tail section back on. It doesn't just slide on. It takes some work and manipulation to get it back on without breaking any of the mounting tabs. The next challenge is removing the turn signals. There are no instructions. I ended up just cutting the wires under the bracket and splicing them back togther later. The bracket fits perfectly except for the side with the exhaust can. To get the bracket to fit properly, I needed to remove the exhaust mounting bolt and let it drop down about and inch. I was then able to fit everything on. Mounting the turn signals on the new bracket was also challenging and I had to rig up a different system for it to work. Anyway, its all done and looks great, but be prepared for a big job if you are doing it yourself.