Shane “Shakey” Byrne’s return tot he British Superbike series started off in the best possible way as Shakey won the first race of the 2011 British Superbike season. Byrne ended up winning the first race at Brands Hatch by more than a second, as many of his contenders suffered crashes throughout the race.
James Westmoreland, Ian Lowery, John Laverty, Michael Laverty, and John Hopkins each took a turn on the gravel today, thinning out the field at the front. Byrne was able to take the victory by more than a second ahead of Tommy Hill, earning his first win since his 2008 championship season.
“I didn’t have any excuses if I didn’t have a result today riding for the championship-winning team,” Byrne said. “It was a hectic race and I got a good start and then Michael’s crash happened in slow motion right in front of me and I was lucky that I managed to miss him. That incident then bunched us all up and then I had a fight with Stuart Easton but I knew I had to get past him as soon as possible. It’s fantastic to have won the first race of the season and I can’t wait for race two now.”
British Superbike – Brands Hatch – Race 1 Results
- Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda)
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +1.154s
- Tommy Bridewell (Tyco Honda) +2.667s
- Stuart Easton (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +2.764s
- Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing) +3.408s
- Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +4.310s
- Loris Baz (Motorpoint Yamaha) +4.496s
- Dan Linfoot (Sorrymate.com Honda) +5.090s
- Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +5.100s
- Chris Walker (Pr1mo Racing Kawasaki) +7.728s
Courtesy of AllAboutBikes.com