Did you expect anyone else to win? Casey Stoner was absolutely dominant in Qatar during the opening round of the 2011 MotoGP season. Stoner led all the free practice sessions, secured the pole position, and has just won the first race of 2011.
Stoner beat out Jorge Lorenzo by more than three seconds to claim the first victory of the 2011 MotoGP season. Stoner’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa, took the final spot on the podium.
The third Repsol Honda rider, Andrea Dovizioso, took fourth place ahead of Marco Simoncelli. Simoncelli’s fifth place finish for the San Carlo Honda Gresini team, put four Honda RC212V machines in the top five.
Behind the onslaught of Honda riders came the other Factory Yamaha racer, Ben Spies in sixth.
Valentino Rossi, who was worried about his shoulder going into today’s race, finish well in 7th place behind Spies, albeit 16 seconds behind the race winner.
Colin Edwards, Nicky Hayden, and Hiroshi Aoyama completed the top 10.
MotoGP Race Results – Qatar
- Casey Stoner – Repsol Honda
- Jorge Lorenzo – Factory Yamaha – +3.4 seconds
- Dani Pedrosa – Repsol Honda – +5.05 serconds
- Andrea Dovizioso – Repsol Honda – +5.94 seconds
- Marco Simoncelli – San Carlo Honda Gresini – +7.35 seconds
- Ben Spies – Factory Yamaha – +10.46 seconds
- Valentino Rossi – Ducati Team – +16.43 seconds
- Colin Edwards – Monster Yamaha Tech 3 – +26.29 seconds
- Nicky Hayden – Ducati Team – +27.416 seconds
- Hiroshi Aoyama – San Carolo Honda Gresini – +28.9 seconds
Courtesy of AllAboutBikes.com