Carlos Checa had a fantastic pre-season, and all of his hard work is showing at opening day of the 2011 World Superbike season at Phillip Island. Checa topped the time sheets during the free practice session, but was also able to lead the WSBK around the track during the opening qualifying session.
Checa earned a 1’31.577 lap time today at Phillip Island, .27 seconds ahead of his closest competitor, Sylvain Guintoli.
“Today we worked on the tires and tomorrow morning we will have other things to try,” Checa said. “But I have to admit, I’m feeling very confident right now.”
Eugene Laverty also had an impressive qualifying session at Phillip Island. Laverty was the final rider to break the 1’32 barrier, finishing in third behind Guintoli.
2010 champion Max Biaggi earned a fourth place finish during qualifying, finishing nearly a half second behind Checa.
All of the major manufacturers had a rider in the top ten during the first qualifying session. Ducati claimed the top two spots, but Yamaha, Aprilia, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda were all represented in the top 10.
World Superbike – Philip Island – 1st Qualifying Results
- Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 1’31.577
- Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) 1’31.850
- Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) 1’31.969
- Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) 1’32.009
- Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) 1’32.066
- Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 1’32.082
- Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) 1’32.108
- Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) 1’32.163
- Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) 1’32.424
- Joshua Waters (Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team) 1’32.690
Courtesy of AllAboutBikes.com